Let's Talk:
(480) 744-7442
Name Change Attorney Scottsdale AZ


At the Tiffany Fina Law Firm, we know that one of the things that come up after a divorce is a name change. You don’t want to carry the name from past relationships into the future. A Name Change attorney will explain to you what it means and what goes into the process.

The groups of people who seek name changes are usually women who are newly divorced. But it is not limited to that. You could seek name changes after divorce and on many other occasions which will be specified soon. Nowadays it is common to see women wanting to go back to their old names after divorce as against their hyphenated name.

Usually, a Scottsdale divorce attorney will help with the process of changing names. They are experts in these kinds of things and could help when seeking name changes before the divorce or after divorce. Depending on the attorney’s law firm, you might be given a free consultation for a start.

Generally, you should understand certain things before you request for name changes. If you know this beforehand, you will save a lot of time:

  • You can seek a name change as part of the process of divorce only if you want to use the old name you used before marriage.
  • Perhaps you did not change your name during a divorce. You can change it later in your county court when you have completed the divorce. The process will be determined by this court and it might differ from other county courts. That’s why it is advisable you see a Scottsdale divorce attorney give you details of the process in your county.
  • Perhaps you want a different name from the one you used before marriage. The court in your locality will highlight the process.
  • Changing your children’s names after divorce requires the consent of the other parent. Even the process is treated separately from the divorce process. Usually, the court in your locality will use the simple system it uses in dealing with issues concerning children in divorce. The court will always have the best interests of children in mind. It is very likely that the court will turn your request down if the other parent has an existing relationship with the children.
  • Your choice is wider if you have been divorced before. You can choose the old spouse’s name. Or you can choose your parent’s name. Or you can maintain the current name.
  • Changing your name doesn’t exempt you from certain duties like paying your debt or being prosecuted for your crimes.
  • It’s your soon-to-be-ex or ex’s choice to change her or his name. You can’t force them.
  • Unless you make an effort to change them, your name on documents will remain. After changing your name because of a divorce, the name you have on your certificates, will, driver’s license, etc will be the same, and not be changed automatically.

Getting a divorce can be complicated. But once you overcome that part, you can smile and relax. Changing names after divorce can be difficult if you don’t know how to go about. A Scottsdale divorce attorney can help you make the process swift and stress-free. It will be especially wise if the attorney is experienced. They will handle the proper documentation with the accuracy of a cat walking at night.

Here are some examples of situations that can lead to changing names:

After marriage

You are not expected to do anything to change your name after marriage. There is no need to see a Scottsdale divorce attorney. And there is no need to visit an adult court in your locality. All you have to do is to request a license for marriage; ensure you have done this before the actual marriage.

Typically, and depending on your locality, you don’t need to wait before you get a license. You will need to pay certain fees for the filing of the marriage license and the couples must each be above 18 years of age.

Name change after divorce

This is where a lot of work is needed to be done. Most people would like to change their names after divorce. It’s normal but cannot be easily done on your own.  You will need the service of a Scottsdale divorce attorney.

If the person wants to go back to the old name, it is wise to contact the lawyer earlier before a decision is made. The lawyer might file the case together with the process of divorce which is the best option. But if you want to change to an entirely new name, a name you have never used before, you will need to follow a different approach that is unrelated to divorce.

There are two bodies that are developed to respond to divorce issues. They are the Response to the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage and the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage forms. These two have sections where people involved in divorce issues can file for a name change, especially if they are returning to old names.

And it is important to repeat this. When the divorce process has ended and the two parties have been separated by the law, you can still seek a name change depending on how the law of your area describes the process. A Scottsdale law attorney will help you with your aim.

Changing your name as an adult

So you want to change your name after you are above eighteen? You don’t want the old name and you are not married and haven’t been divorced before. Changing your name at this stage is pretty easy once you have decided.

You will visit the court clerk in your area and ask for a name change. She will hand you a Name Change form and other related forms that are applicable. You will fill them out, providing information such as your name, your address, your date of birth, etc and submit the form.

The second document, the Order Changing the Name, will serve as a tool for you in case you want to carry a birth certificate around with your new name on it. A judicial officer will put a signature on it and thus signify you can hold another or brand new birth certificate in your community.

Here is How To Schedule a Consultation with Scottsdale Name Change Attorney, Tiffany Fina:

Tiffany Fina Law Firm
7411 E 6th Ave, Scottsdale, AZ 85251
(480) 744-7442

    How can we help you?

    Live Chat
    DMCA.com Protection Status